We recently spoke about Twitter Remarketing here on the Devumi blog, but to keep things fair for all those video marketers out there I am also going to cover YouTube Remarketing so that your videos, and video marketing, can help your end goal of increasing conversions and spreading your brand message to the right people.
Setting up a YouTube Remarketing Campaign
What is remarketing?
To start this off right let’s look at what Google themselves has to say about remarketing:
Remarketing lets you show ads to users who’ve previously visited your website as they browse the Web.
To do this you’re placing a cookie onto the computers of those who view pages on your website and using this information to market to them at key moments. This will lead to ads showing up across the Google networks when people with these cookies on their computers do certain searches or go to certain places on the web.
How to setup your YouTube Remarketing campaign
1. Link your YouTube account to your Google AdWords account
You already have a YouTube account full of videos, and a Google Adwords account, right? If not, go and get those basics started and come back!
There are two ways for you to link your YouTube channel and Google AdWords:
- You can link up your Google AdWords account to your YouTube channel in the AdWords dashboard.
- You can link up your YouTube channel to Google AdWords account in the YouTube dashboard.
The easiest way is to link it from within YouTube as it allows you to quickly link up multiple Google Adwords accounts.
Here are the steps to link up your YouTube and Google Adwords accounts from within YouTube:
- Go to the Video Manager by clicking on the icon along the top of your dashboard.
- On the left hand side, click on Channel, and then Advanced when it expands.
- Get the nine digit Google AdWords account number from your account via a copy, you’re going to paste it next.
- Go back to the page with your YouTube channel advanced settings window open and click on “Link Adwords an account.” Paste your Google ID number into the space where it says to do so. Click next.
- Now give the account a name, the one being used in Google Adwords already is the easy choice.
- Now you can set permissions for all of the features you want the Google AdWords account to have access to. Tip: the more, the merrier.
- Click Finish when you’re done and your YouTube Account will officially be linked to you Google Adwords.
So now we’re done, right? Wrong! There are still more steps to follow to start using YouTube Remarketing effectively. For one, you need an Adwords remarketing list of at least 100 users. Read on for the rest.
2. Choose four or five YouTube videos that will be your best marketing content
You likely already have plenty of great videos on YouTube, but which ones will really help your remarketing efforts? Find those that link up well with your overall marketing efforts, like current sales and new products you want to push, and get ready to use that content.
Above all, don’t use useless content like the intern’s goof off video, or that one where you interview the CEO about his *yawn* goals for the company. You’ll also want to be sure that the videos you choose have decent view numbers. This is where our YouTube views service can come in handy as you pump the numbers up enough to make it look like a hit so that it can be a hit.
3. Creating your YouTube Remarketing campaign
Go to your Adwords account and start by clicking on the red Campaign button below the graph. This will open up a drop down menu where you obviously want to select “Online Video.”
You can now name this specific campaign, and set the daily budget. To keep things simple I’m going to ignore the advanced delivery methods. This is not ‘first YouTube Remarketing campaign’ territory!
The next step allows to choose how your video will show up. You can choose from:
- Showing your video ad on YouTube Search.
- Showing your video before other YouTube videos.
- Showing your video on the Google display network.
Do not neglect adding a target location for geo-targeting, and the language to be used. These little tweaks can make your YouTube Remarketing all the more relevant.
Now it’s time to insert the URL of the YouTube video you want to have advertised. Be sure that you’re using just the one video and not a playlist. You can be sure that it’s a single video by looking for the ‘&’ symbol. Erase this and everything after it to only show one video in this one Google Adwords campaign…unless, of course, you want to try and market a whole playlist! #GoodLuckWithThat
All you have to do now is write the ad, you’ll see a preview as your write it, click Save, and Continue.
4. Now select your Target audience for true YouTube Remarketing
This is when Twitter Remarketing hits its stride as you perfectly target the audience for your Adword advertisements across the Google networks. Here are the steps:
- Choose a name for the group of people you’re targeting
- Insert a maximum bid per view. It’s usually best to start out at the lower end of the spectrum as you begin your campaign. If you blow your budget all at the start on the wrong people you won’t be able to tweak your results to hit the right people later.
- Go to “Narrow your Targeting.”
- Select the button for “Remarketing.”
- Now add your remarketing list as the target audience for this campaign.
- Click “Save Targeting Group.”
Wait…is that it? It is! You have now successfully started your first YouTube Remarketing campaign. Keep track of your stats by looking at the All Video Campaigns on the left hand side that will have added itself since you started your YouTube Remarketing.
For a (nauseatingly) detailed guide, visit Google’s support site for more.
YouTube logo from Wikimedia Commons.
Feature image via designer451 / Shutterstock