Everyone seems to want to make money on SoundCloud. Record labels are salivating at the chance to get at more money through online monetization. And, heck, even the artists themselves might get a slice.
A recent announcement that has been overlooked that will impact how people make money on SoundCloud came from RouteNote last week. If you want to make money on SoundCloud, getting familiar with who they are and what they do is necessary.
What is RouteNote and how can they help you make money on SoundCloud?
The first thing you need to know is that RouteNote is a pre-existing music distribution platform. They’re built on an artist first model that sees artists getting 85% of royalties for music sold through them. Not a bad cut.
RouteNote have now taken their music distribution platform and are merging it with On SoundCloud, Soundcloud’s own monetization platform. How exactly it is going to work has not been entirely revealed, but those looking to make money on SoundCloud can make a few deductions.
Here’s what we do know so far:
- RouteNote is going to help musicians monetize their content right on SoundCloud. No sending users to other websites.
- RouteNote will be offering musicians some branding and premium features to enhance their ability to make money on SoundCloud.
- Rights management will be offered on SoundCloud for free, with no upfront or subscription cost, while giving them 85% royalties.
- Point three is in line with their own music distribution. If they follow suit they will also offer a subscription based rights management package that offers 100% of royalties.
Monetization options on SoundCloud
How Point 4 will work is likely to have it join in with the On SoundCloud levels. You’ll likely earn 85% royalties if you join the free SoundCloud Partner program. The next level up, SoundCloud Pro, will likely not feature the 100% royalties as they need to offer further incentive to go with the top level, SoundCloud Premier. Premier already offers some monetization.
To be fair, they could also shift it up so you only earn the 85% on SoundCloud Pro, and keep SoundCloud Partner strictly free with no monetization at all. Come to think of it, that seems more likely. So, making money on SoundCloud will likely look like this:
- SoundCloud Partner – Free to join, no monetization
- SoundCloud Pro – Subscription, 85% royalties through RouteNote
- SoundCloud Premier – Higher fee, 100% royalties through RouteNote, plus monetization you’re already getting via SoundCloud
Either way you look at it, this is an exciting time for those looking to make money on SoundCloud as the platform gives more opportunities to artists.
Are you ready to make money on SoundCloud?
Any artist online who is hoping to make money on SoundCloud would be foolish if they were to ignore their account now. Taking advantage of our own SoundCloud followers service can help you gain brand new followers as they see your popularity rise. Nothing beats looking popular to get popular, and you need to start driving your numbers up if you want to make money on SoundCloud with RouteNote getting ready.
Promotion of your SoundCloud account through good old fashion means is also needed to create a real word of mouth buzz. For that, check out these articles of mine elsewhere on the site:
- How to get More SoundCloud Followers in 7 Easy Steps
- Getting more SoundCloud Plays: 5 Dos and Don’ts to Get More Plays
- 3 SoundCloud Updates that Could Increase your Plays
Each article will give you new ideas as the how you can better your SoundCloud account, and ultimately make money on SoundCloud once RouteNote fully launches.
To keep with tradition, but break from it slightly, here’s my favourite sounds on SoundCloud right now. From the official NASA SoundCloud account:
Feature image via Dean Drobot / Shutterstock